Board of Selectmen
7:00 PM Monday, February 3, 2020
Meeting Room 133
CALL TO ORDER & PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
First Selectman Stephen C. Dunn called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
PRESENT: Stephen C. Dunn, First Selectman; Sue Slater, Selectman; Harry Shaker, Selectman; Marcia Marien, Finance Director/Controller; Thomas Beecher, Town Attorney; Virginia Giovanniello, Recording Secretary; members of the public.
MONTHLY AGENDA ITEMS
1) Jim Fisher, 12 Aramon Circle
2) Mel Butow, 12 Riverview Court
Mr. Dunn made the following announcements:
• The town's budget process for 2020 - 2021 is underway. A joint meeting will be held by the Board of Selectmen and Board of Finance for the Board of Education's presentation of their proposed budget on Thursday, February 13 at 7:00 p.m. at the Brookfield High School Media Center.
• Coffee with the Community is scheduled on Saturday, February 29 from 9-10:30 a.m. at Dunkin Donuts, 782 Federal Road (note address correction).
There was no correspondence.
Ron Jaffe of Brookfield Cares presented the results of the 2019 Student Attitudes & Behaviors Survey coordinated by the schools with Brookfield Cares. He stated that it provides actionable data on Brookfield students rather than national trends. Mr. Jaffe provided a PowerPoint presentation of the results to help guide the town in making decisions about what programs and resources may be needed going forward. Mr. Jaffe noted that virtually all the students took the survey and he is encouraging the schools to continue to re-vamp the health curriculum. He noted that Brookfield Care's website is brookfield-cares.org.
Still River Greenway Trail -Town Hall Extension
Greg Dembowski, Community Development Director, and Mary Knox, Parks & Recreation Director, provided a project update and presented three design options with the pros and cons of each. The town was awarded a grant in the amount of $207,355 from the State DOT Community Connectivity Grant Program and the purpose of tonight's presentation was to seek support of one of the three options. Mr. Dunn noted that he would first want to look where to get additional funding without a special appropriation, and suggested that since the grant does not have an expiration, that the town finish the budget this year, and additional funds if needed and dependent on what option is chosen, could be placed in the capital budget next year. At conclusion of discussion, Steve Dunn made motion that the Selectmen table this ltem until the town can find the funding source and agree to support Optlon #3, seconded by Harry Shaker. Motion carried unanimously.
Business Incentive Tax Ordinance
Steve Dunn made motion to move this item up on the agenda, seconded by Harry Shaker. Motion carried unanimously. The Selectmen continued discussion on the proposed project with Gary Romaniello, Laurel Hill Partners, on a partial tax abatement for property located at 101, 103 & 105 Laurel Hill Road. Mr. Dunn noted that he would have a special meeting to work on the details of an abatement once Laurel HIii Partners had firm details and as long as the intent was mixed use buildings at market rate and included the sewer line proposal.
Library Board Special Appropriation Request
The Selectmen acknowledged that the Library found additional savings after meeting with the Selectmen on November 12, 2019. The special appropriation request was due to an oversight in the budget process for a part time library assistant position approved in the 2018-19 budget year. At conclusion of discussion, Steve Dunn made motion to approve the Library Board request and forward to the Board of Finance for review and approval of departmental transfer of $20,204 from Social Security funds, seconded by Sue Slater. Motion carried unanimously.
Monthly Flnancial Update
An update was provided by Marcia Marien, Director of Finance/Controller.
Police Department Outside Services Fund
The Police Department requested an appropriation of up to $99,720.00 from the PD Outside Services Fund to purchase a complete Video Surveillance System deferred from the Town's Capital Budget. Mr. Dunn noted that this would include having a coordinated system at the Town Hall, Library and Public Works that would all feed to the Police Department. At conclusion of discussion, Steve Dunn made motion that the Selectmen approve the PD request and forward to the Board of Finance for review and approval of an appropriation in the amount of $99,720.00 from the Police Department's Outside Services Fund for the replacement of the Police Department's Video Surveillance System.
Septage Management Ordinance
Mr. Dunn noted a Public Hearing was held prior to BOS meeting regarding updating and clarifying how the Septage Management Ordinance works. At conclusion of discussion, Steve Dunn made motion that the Selectmen approve the revised Septage Management Ordinance as presented at the February 3 Public Hearing, seconded by Sue Slater. Motion carried unanimously.
Sue Slater made motion to approve all items on the Consent Agenda, seconded by Harry Shaker. Motion carried unanimously.
BOS Budget Workshop Meeting Schedule
Selectmen Approvals for Routine Matters
Board of Selectmen Meeting Minutes
• January 6, 2020 BOS Meeting
• January 13, 2020 Special BOS Meeting
• January 15, 2020 Special BOS Meeting
• January 25, 2020 Special BOS Meeting (Coffee with the Community)
• Paige Gallagher has been selected for Interim Head of Adult Services/Assistant Director, effective 2/10/20.
• Greg Dembowski has accepted the position of Community Development Director, effective 2/3/20.
All Driveway Bond Releases are in the amount of $750.00.
• 44 Arapaho Road, bond #2258
• 25 Windwood Road, bond #2287
• 202 Candlewood Lake Road, bond #2288
ADDITIONAL MONTHLY AGENDA ITEMS
1) LAKE LILLINONAH AUTHORITY - Steve Dunn made motion that the Selectmen appoint Robert Mitchell (U) for term 2/3/20 - 2/5/24, seconded by Sue Slater. Motion carried unanimously.
2) MUNICIPAL BUILDING COMMITTEE - Steve Dunn made motion that the Selectmen appoint Amy Curley Frost (D) as alternate member for term 2/3/20 - 2/5/24, seconded by Harry Shaker. Motion carried unanimously.
3) ENERGY ADVISORY BOARD - Stove Dunn made motion that the Selectmen appoint Joanne Cafiero (D) for term 2/3/20 - 2/6/23, seconded by Harry Shaker. Motion carried unanimously.
4) RETIREMENT BENEFITS ADVISORY COMMITTEE - Steve Dunn made motion that the Selectmen appoint Glenn Rooney as Board of Finance Representative for term to 12/6/21, seconded by Harry Shaker. Motion carried unanimously.
1) Betsy Mcilvaine, 127 Long Meadow Hill Road
2) Mel Butow, 12 Riverview Court
Steve Dunn made motion to adjourn at 8:10 p.m., seconded by Harry Shaker. Motion carried unanimously.